Allocated devices

Ed Schwalenberg ED
Thu Aug 28 00:00:00 CEST 1980

Pnn: and Dnn: as devices work unless they have been "allocated" to
the SECOND:, THIRD:, VISION: sort of pack.  I don't know whether this
is alleged to be a feature or a bug; I can't see any good that derives
from it.
Slightly more serious is that there is no way (as far as I know) of
knowing what allocated devices there are (in particular .GETSYS knows
nothing about them) or what the mapping between pack numbers and
allocated devices is.  There is also no way of telling what directories
are allocated to what packs for the allocated directory scheme.
I don't think that anybody is being actively screwed by this, but it
would be tasteful if a program could find out about such things without
experimenting or sending mail to Moon.